If you get into a car accident, there are certain things that you are obliged to do. You have some duties and responsibilities as a citizen. Thus, you need to make sure that everyone is safe and follow the rules until the insurance claim process starts. So, you should know what to do after a car accident immediately.
- Check Yourself for Injuries: The first thing you should is to check yourself. If you are injured and can’t move, then ask for help to call the police and medical help.
- Check the Well-Being of Fellow Passengers: If you are alright then you should take a look upon your fellow passengers. You can ask the bystander for help and call for emergency services immediately.
- Get To Safety: Whether you’ve been in a minor accident or a major one, you need to get to safety as soon as possible. If your car is safe to drive, then you can move your car too as it will disrupt the traffic and cause a blockage. If the car can’t be moved then take your fellows to the safe side of the road.
- Call For Police: Even if no one is injured in the accident, you should call the police. A major collision obviously requires police security. But you are legally obliged to do so. If you don’t follow this rule, then you can also get penalized for it.
- Wait for Help: Turn on the hazard lights and use the road flares in the emergency car kit to grab the attention of the nearby police officials. Plus, the flare will warn the other drivers about the accident so that they can slow down.
- Exchange Information: Once you’ve completed the starting formalities, you will need to share the valid information with officials. The drivers need to provide their name, contact information, insurance company and policy number, driver’s license, plate number, car information, and the location of the accident. The police will verify your credentials and check their validity.
- Notify Your Insurer: After you give the details of the accident, you can call your insurance agent. They will guide you how you need to proceed and what to expect during the case.
As a responsible citizen, you should not take this matter lightly. There are a lot of people who get into accidents due to someone else’s faults. Therefore, you should know what to do when you get in a car accident without insurance. The insurance can cover your loss easily and that’s why it is recommended to update the insurance policy as often as possible. If you don’t know about the obligations, you can always contact Page P Law firm 24/7.