How to Become a Tax Lawyer in Australia

Tax Lawyer

Practicing law is a fantastic profession for people all over the world. Lawyers have a lot of opportunities to use their knowledge and credentials to make money. Being a lawyer gives you the option of opening your own legal practice, and can allow you to earn enough that you can work few hours or take long vacations. One such legal practice that is not commonly pursued by people interested in practicing law is in the field of taxation. While most who go to law school think first about criminal law, there are many other areas of the broad legal profession that can be simpler and less stressful to practice, and tax law is just one of those options. If you are interested in becoming a tax lawyer in Australia, there are a few things that you will need to accomplish before you can actually start practicing.

Tax Lawyer

You Must Complete Secondary School

In order to become a lawyer, you need to complete your secondary schooling. Completion of secondary school or high school shows the authorities that you are a serious and capable person. It will be very difficult to get into law schools without having completed this necessary piece of your education. If you have not completed secondary school, you may need to get an education in the form of a year twelve equivalency program such as TAFE or SASE.

Enter an Undergraduate Program

After completing your secondary education, you will need to enrol in an accredited undergraduate law program. Although completion of secondary schooling is a basic requirement, it is not necessarily the only requirement to be accepted into such an undergraduate program. Educators in the area may have additional requirements and rules for you to qualify to enter their programs. This helps them to sift through the many applicants each year since there is a limited amount of space for students.

Enter an Australian University’s Law Program

Once you have completed your undergraduate studies, you will need to enter an accredited Australian university law program. At this institution, you will need to earn your graduate diploma of applied tax law if this is the specific field of law that you are interested in working in professionally. Depending on how the type of work you would like to do and what level of education it requires to make you more competitive for the job, you may need to earn a master’s degree or a Ph.D. as well.


Although this marks the end of your formal education, you may not find it easy to get a job in tax law immediately after graduating. Joining an internship program at a local law office will give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience and working knowledge. After completing an internship, you will have a much easier time finding full-time work in the profession. After this, you can pursue working for a law firm in the form of a vacation job if you are not yet able to find full-time work.