Personal injuries are taken very seriously as per the laws in the United States of America, and all states have their own rules created as per the requirements unique to every particular state. Hollywood, a famous city in Broward County in the state of Florida, too, has its own unique laws and legal solutions for personal injury cases.
Understanding the pertaining laws and navigating through the legal process can be a complex and daunting process, especially when you have been involved in an accident and suffered from injuries and the traumatic experience. It is advisable to consult a personal injury lawyer in Hollywood, FL, along with understanding the dominant trends and legal solutions related to personal injury cases.
Table of Contents
Trends in personal injury cases in Hollywood
- Car accidents: Hollywood, being one of the most popular cities in the highly populated state of Florida, experiences frequent car accidents. The extensive and complex road networks, teamed with the high population, lead to distractions while driving, causing car or road accidents, along with rash driving and speeding.
- Accidents due to slipping and falling: A busy and active city like Hollywood has numerous recreational places like hotels, restaurants, resorts, etc., making slip and fall accidents a fairly common occurrence. Such accidents are often caused by the negligence of the property owners towards maintaining safe premises, leading to personal injury claims filed on behalf of the victims by their personal injury lawyer.
- Road and pedestrian accidents: The warm and alive atmosphere of the city has many people out on bicycles and walking around who are vulnerable victims of accidents by negligent and rash drivers.
- Accidents on the sea: Hollywood is situated along the Atlantic coastline, and boating is a popular outdoor activity with a fair share of boat accidents, especially in the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway. Accidents on the sea can lead to personal injury claims under maritime laws.
- Medical negligence: Injuries and harm caused by medical negligence or malpractice can often be the reason for malpractice claims filed by patients.
- Defective products: Any harm or injury caused by faulty or defective products, like defective toys, faulty automobile parts, or a highly potent or dangerous pharmaceutical product, is a cause for filing personal injury claims against the manufacturers for product liability.
- Medical attention: The first and foremost step is to seek medical attention as soon as possible and follow the doctor’s advice. This is crucial not just for your well-being but also for establishing proof and documentation of your injuries for the legal process. Be sure to collect all medical bills, reports, and prescriptions.
- Consult a lawyer: Look for a good personal injury lawyer who specializes in Florida law. The lawyer will look into and assess your case, give legal advice, and make you understand the process. Most good lawyers offer free consultations and charge their fees upon the successful culmination of the case.
- Ascertaining liability: Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident to establish and ascertain liability, which is crucial for the case. The investigative process includes collecting evidence, accident and, if possible, surveillance reports, and talking with the witnesses.
- Negotiations: Your personal injury lawyer will contact and negotiate with the other party and the insurance companies to negotiate a settlement for compensation. In case the negotiations fail, you can decide to file a lawsuit against the responsible parties. Be mindful of the time period if you decide to take a legal step. Florida has a statute of limitation of 4 years from the day of the injury, within which a case can be filed following an accident.
- Compensation: Your able and experienced lawyer will calculate the compensation, covering all the damages that include the medical bills, loss of wages, and pain and suffering.
- ADR, or alternative dispute resolution methods, can be used in certain cases to resolve the personal injury case without going to court, via mediation or arbitration. Going to court is a long and expensive process that should be avoided if possible.
- Insurance claims: The state of Florida follows the no-fault insurance system, under which your insurance company may cover some of your expenses regardless of your fault.
Engaging an experienced personal injury lawyer in Hollywood, FL, will help you navigate through the complex laws and legal process. It is prudent to seek legal guidance for your legal safety at a traumatic time when you need to focus on recovering from your injuries and the painful experience of the accident.